Diversity in the workplace
Workplace diversity means creating an inclusive environment that accepts each individual's differences, embraces their strengths and provides opportunities for all staff to achieve their full potential.
Valuing difference allows each person to contribute their unique experiences to the workplace and can impact positively on not only internal activities and relationships, but the experiences of customers and other stakeholders as well.
Tips for creating a diverse workplace
- Discuss diversity with your employees, highlighting the benefits of having a diverse and inclusive workplace.
- Identify and address any unconscious bias in recruitment, retention and promotion that may be preventing particular groups of people from joining or staying at your workplace.
- Value individual skills that employees bring, including language skills and international experience that may help to broaden your market and business connections.
- Ensure flexible work options are available to all staff, including comprehensive parental leave policies for both men and women.
- Be aware of different cultural practices and special needs of employees and make workplace adjustments where appropriate.
- Take steps to prevent discrimination and harassment in your workplace.